B”H
Dear Families,
The Yellow Room Friends learned about the twin boys that were born to Yitzchak and Rivka: Yaakov and Eisav. The twins were very different in the way they looked and the way they behaved. The Yellow Room Friends created a Venn Diagram to compare Yaakov and Eisav. One of the differences was the way in which Yaakov and Eisav dealt with things when someone bothered them. Yaakov used his words and Eisav used his hands. A big topic of discussion this week was about getting back at people (aka taking revenge). The Yellow Room Friends have been trying to stop and think about their reactions: “Is this a Yaakov way or an Eisav way”? Which is a better way to emulate when something happens that they don’t like? The Yaakov way or the Eisav way?
Ronan: I was like throwing a fit. At the ice rink. I stopped throwing a fit at the end.
Discussion
Do you know any twins? They are the same because:
Mae: … they both have tablets. (Ben and Shimmy)
Jacob: Ben and Shimmy both have beds.
Leanna: Me and my sister, her name is Brianna, are twins and we both have turtle beds. And we are both 6 ½.
Naveed: … they both know their ABCs and they look the same. (Ben and Shimmy)
Parsha and the Five Senses
The Yellow Room Friends used their sense of hearing to match the sounds in the sound jars and to listen to recordings of voices from Morahs from different classes. It was fun trying to figure out who was talking. They used their sense of touch to figure out what was hidden in the mystery bag. Some things were difficult to figure out without the sense of sight like the paper clip.
Song:
Rivkah Eemeinu had twin sons, Esav was red
He was a hunter, Yaakov learned Torah instead
Yaakov was cooking beans, Esav was hunting
"I am hungry! Give me soup! Esav came in
grunting
"Please sell me your b’chorah I’ll give you
soup so red."
Yaakov told this to Esav, "Take it!"
Esav said.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JACOB!
Happy Birthday, Jacob, on your 6th birthday! May you continue in your kind ways and give joy to your family!
Shabbat Shalom!
Morah Perline
Showing kindness and helping a friend tie his shoe.
A Yaakov worthy act.
This week, in the Yellow Room, we have been combining our literacy with the learning of Parsha. As the children explored the differences and similarities between Yaakov and Eisav, they also compared themselves to their classmates, and also to Yaakov and Eisav. The children explored descriptions of themselves and one another in class discussions. They considered the descriptions and the similarities/differences between themselves and Yaakov and Esav as well. The children found that they were much more like Yaakov, but sometimes they were impatient like Eisav.
The children not only had discussions about words that described themselves, many children sounded out the descriptive word and phonetically wrote them on the sheet all about them. The children also said what they like to do, and here are their responses:
Angie: I like to play in my room with my dad. I play with my dada. After he takes his shower, I ask him if he wants to play with me. He says okay just for a little bit.
Jacob: I lie to go to the train park.
Leah: I like playing kitties inside the home corner. The most thing I like to play is I play I am sick. It’s very cool.
Leanna: I love doing work like playing chase and catch lizards in your net. Then I like to keep them as pets. And, I like watching them eat breakfast. Today they get their shakos treat cuz they ate all of their vegetables. I do a lot of things with my lizards. I brush their teeth (they have 9 teeth).
Mae: I like to write.
Naveed: I like to play with my sister Zooey.
Ronan: I like to play hockey all day.
The class read The Very Impatient Caterpillar (A new class favorite) and the Interrupting Chicken. Both stories had main characters who lacked patience. While listening to the stories the children practiced their patience, occasionally interjecting comments and a lot of laughter. Have your child tell you the stories. (Maybe they can say it without falling over laughing!)
More Literacy:
The children are continuing with their individualized alphabet or story comprehension. Children that are working on alphabet letters found so many words that started the letters of the week “L”. “T”, “E” and “H”. The other children were putting together story sequences and working on story comprehension.
The Teva Work Continues:
Friday afternoon, Ronan’s dad joined us to continue working on the Teva. The children have traveled to the beis hagmigdah, the store, and many other places as they have played in the Teva in our outdoor learning space. The children have played cooperatively within their class and with the other classes. All children were involved in determining the Teva destination.
The class ended the week of show and tell dancing with Angie’s dancing unicorn.
Happy Birthday Jacob!
Shabbat Shalom!
Morah Devora
No comments:
Post a Comment